Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Orange Chocolate Chip Ice Cream


One of my family’s favorite treats when we are on vacation at the lake is homemade ice cream. We dig out the well aged but still extremely effective ice cream maker and experiment with a multitude of flavors. Starting the summer out with a citrus centered flavor seemed to sound delicious so I decided today’s flavor would be orange. The fresh orange juice and rind mixed with cream provides a remembrance of the old fashioned creamsicle, but fresher and creamier. The ice cream base for this recipe is a custard base; therefore it includes cream and egg yolks that are heated. This eliminates any worry associated with raw eggs. Then, just because I like a little extra crunch and spark in my ice cream I stirred in some really good quality chopped dark chocolate. I hope you and your family enjoy making this fun summer treat too.

And now, “Bon appetite, now we may eat!”

Orange Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

(1 quart)

3 oranges, juiced (about ¾ cup juice)

2 T orange rind

1 cup sugar

2 cups cream

Dash of salt

4 egg yolks

½ cup chopped dark chocolate

Heat cream, ¾ cup sugar, 1 T orange rind, and dash of salt to a boil, take off heat and cover for 15 minutes. Beat egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar until thick and pale yellow in color. Slowly whisk egg mixture into cream mixture then bring to a simmer over medium heat, do not boil. Take off heat and place saucepan in a large bowl with ice water. Whisk mixture until cool, about 10 minutes, then mix in orange juice and remaining orange rind. Freeze ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker. Mix in chopped chocolate and put in freezer for about 2 hours prior to serving.

3 comments:

  1. I love homemade ice cream - I make some every few weeks. Never thought of orange chocolate chip. Sounds absolutely wonderful! I'll have to try it - soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice ice cream recipe, great! Can't wait to try this one, the orange and chocolate will be so nice together. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice cream is my all time favorite dessert and every time I like to taste different flavor.
    Your recipe really sounds delicious.Orange chocolate chip ice cream looks so yummy.I will definitely try out.

    ReplyDelete