Saturday, May 29, 2010

Strawberry Salsa

Red, sweet, and delicious! Yes folks, its strawberry season. Our strawberry stand has been open for a few weeks now and is hitting its stride. This weekend I am picking up a half flat of Aromas strawberries at a stand in Southern California where they have 6 different varieties to choose from. It almost feels like wine tasting, each having a different complexity to its sweetness. The Aromas however seem to have just a little tang to them that I think will go well with some of the recipes I have planned for this week.

So, we all have seen dozens upon dozens of strawberry dessert recipes, I may even use some of my own this week with my red beauties. However, here at Fresh From Market I want to give you something different, a twist on the ingredient that enhances it’s flavor in a new way. Also, I do have an ulterior motive. With all the upcoming barbeque parties, and get-togethers coming with summer, I am in need of a good new appetizer recipe. I need something that will impress my friends, who are also excellent in the kitchen. That’s how I have come up with this tangy, sweet, and even spicy Strawberry Salsa. Yes, it does have sweetness to it but like all good salsa it has spice! I am going to serve it with pita chips but if there are leftovers I am thinking that drizzled over grilled halibut will be amazing too. We’ll see about the leftovers, all signs so far point to making more.

And now shall we say, “Bon Appetite, now we may eat!”

Strawberry Salsa

(3 cups)

Ingredients:

2 baskets of strawberries, diced

½ cup diced red onion

¼ cup diced jalapeno pepper with seeds

3 T chopped cilantro

2 clove garlic, minced

3 tablespoons honey

salt and pepper to taste

Pita Chips, for serving

Directions:

Mix all ingredients gently, being careful not to mash strawberries. Serve with pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment